Sunday, February 7, 2016

New Year's Resolution

January 

I didn't have ideas for resolutions for the new year. I can't stick to them, usually, and they end up disappointing me, especially when they involve my weight and diets. 

But after a week into the year, and after a good meal at a new restaurant, it came to me...


I resolve to not eat at chain restaurants and fast food restaurants for a year. 

It's an easy enough goal to achieve because I try to eat at local places as much as I can. 

So I'm going to try this out for an entire year. So far, I've been good about it. I've eaten at a small taco joint (Mexican grocery store) with a new friend. The local Indian buffet with my family. I called in an order for a delicious gyro from the Kasbah for a quick dinner. 

This could be easy. 

...A week later... February...

I already experienced a dilemma. Last Tuesday, I didn't eat dinner. I finished work late (7 p.m.) and I thought I'd pick up a quick lengua torta from the Mexican place next door and I'll head over to theater rehearsal at 7:30 p.m. No. It didn't work out like that. The Mexican place was closed and I drove up and down Central Avenue for 15 minutes wasting time. 

As I drove around, I dismissed restaurants because they didn't seem fast enough, I wasn't in the mood for it or it was closed. In that time, I realized I'm a picky eater sometimes. That frustrated me and I was furious as I bought a bag of peanut M&Ms at a CVS. I had my heart set on that lengua taco and nothing else mattered. I was also furious that I turned down El Taco Tote. I ate there a while back and it was delicious! I love the taco bar, salsa and numerous meats on the menu. But it's a chain! Or is it?

I looked at El Taco Tote's website and they have 20 locations; mostly in El Paso. Is that a chain? What qualifies as a chain? I think Blake's Lotaburger is a local New Mexico joint, but they have 68 locations in New Mexico with two in El Paso and two in Tucson. Why did I consider El Taco Tote a chain restaurant and Lotaburger a local restaurant? Well part of it is because Lotaburger is a staple of The Land of Enchantment. El Taco Tote? From El Paso.

I mean, a restaurant can be successful, right? And success can be local, right? Lotaburger was once a tiny thing, but it grew to be New Mexico's favorite. El Taco Tote seems to be the same. It started as a tiny taco joint in El Paso. So maybe I can eat at El Taco Tote next time... I think I will. 

It's a dilemma, alright. But I'll be forcing myself to try new restaurants and explore a little "harder." 

Now, Taco Cabana, is definitely a chain restaurant. It's part of Fiesta Restaurant Group, an investment company. Damn... I liked their tacos and their tortillas. I guess I won't be visiting Taco Cabana (or Pollo Tropical) this year. I'll have to find tacos and tortillas elsewhere. 

1 comment:

  1. Choosing to dine at local restaurants (not chain) is a good way to explore different flavors. I'm rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete