Thursday, November 1, 2012

Breakfast for dinner

I've grown tired of the regular breakfast plate. Scrambled eggs, bacon and toast. Eh, I'm not interested in that. I like omelets and huevos rancheros. Other than that I keep it simple for breakfast and am a fiend for cereal. This might scare you, but I also don't like bacon. It's overrated. I liked bacon up until I started living with a person who doesn't eat pork meat. Years of no pork -- including bacon -- and I lost my desire for bacon and opened a door to so many other flavors.

The other day I looked in the fridge and we had eggs, the end of a turkey breast, broccoli and cheese. Omelets for dinner!

I know a lot of people are scared to make omelets because they usually turn out to be scrambled eggs and a frustrating headache. I remember when I gave up on omelets until I heard something from Emeril Legasse, "You get the pan hot like it's going to catch fire. You drop in the eggs and turn the heat down; almost off." I also think part of the trick is to have the right skillet that is not shaped like a round cake pan with strait edges, but one that has a gradual outward angel.
 




  • I saute the filling first: Small cuts of broccoli and turkey breast cubes.
  • Since I am trying to be a little healthier I use two egg whites and one whole egg scrambled with a splash of milk, salt and pepper.
  • The nonstick pan smokes a little and I spray a little butter spray all over.
  • In go the eggs. I move the liquid around while tilting the pan so there is very little liquid left. Turn down the heat and cover it with a lid. Emeril didn't tell you to cover it with a lid, but the lid makes it fluffy and thick so that it cooks from the top too; just like in an oven. After about 45 seconds the eggs are done. No need to flip it. Add the filling, fold it over and slide the large omelet onto a plate.
I can make a pretty good omelet. I especially love them with Ball Park beef hot dogs and cheddar cheese. There are no limitations when it comes to omelets, I say.

This broccoli and turkey breast omelet was a new creation. It was fairly good. The broccoli turned into a nutty taste, the turkey was light and the cheese... lets just say, next time I'll use a saltier cheese like cheddar or American. A white, mozzarella was no good for an omelet. I don't know why I did that. It was available, shredded and ready to go at the time, I guess. Sometimes you save money and you've got to make do with what's in the kitchen.
 
Turkey and broccoli is also a great combination for quiche. I made my first batch recently and that was also the first time I had quiche. It's one of my favorite egg dishes. It's kind of light and cheesy and it smells awesome. Here's the very easy recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/easy-quiche/detail.aspx. I think one thing I would do is add a tad more biscuit mix and use half egg whites and half whole eggs to take a few calories and fat grams out. It was very rich.
 
 

I recently made these small ones in cupcake pans. They're so good.
 
I adjusted the recipe I linked to above to something like:
2/3 cup of biscuit mix
1/2 to 2/3 cup of milk
1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese
1/2 or less of American cheese (cheddar)
3 egg whites
2 tablespoons of butter (make sure this butter is soft, or you'll be mixing it with your hands)
2/3 cup of small, fresh broccoli
 
Bake for about 30 to 40 minutes in a cupcake tin.
Makes 12 mini quiche.
 
I mean, once you make it a first time, you hardly need the recipe the second time and can adjust it anyway you want with different kinds of fillings.
 

1 comment:

  1. I hope to try this recipe one day. I sometimes get hungry for breakfast for dinner. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete