Sunday, November 11, 2012

Dear soup, I apologize for ignoring you all my life.

I was never really a fan of soup. I always passed it by and chose another option if possible. In fact it's been one of my most hated dishes for a long time. Mutton stew, beef stew, chicken noodle, pesole stew, you name it, I'd rather not eat it. Impatience was part of it. I like to dig in, not slurp and sip. And I think heat was the other part; hot liquid was not a good texture and or feeling for me.
 
That changed when I visited Pho Saigon in Las Cruces. This Vietnamese joint with over 300 menu items carries a few of the world's best tasting dishes. I'm talking about pho and curry.

The "Curry Chicken, No. 40," here is genius. At first I was kind of turned off by a big bowl of yellow soup coming my way. But the waitress explained that this is how curry is made the traditional Vietnamese way; soupy. So I gave it a try after waiting about 15 minutes for it. 



I was in heaven. 

I am already familiar with curry spice from my adventures at home with similar Indian spices, so I kind of knew what to expect. I expected it to be very fragrant, smelling great and to be a little spicy... There was so much more. Coconut milk, a few hot peppers for heat, ginger, curry of course and probably a whole line of other spices that took me by surprise that first time, including turmeric, a very yellow spice that has an earthy taste to it (I also heard that turmeric is very healthy for you). 

Each spoonful was better than the last. I didn't even care that I burnt my tongue. 

This meal (at Pho Saigon) comes with a side of brown rice which I used to suck up each drop of yellow goodness. It's filled with red peppers, onions and chunks of chicken. 
I make curry like this at home now; soupy. Although it's no where as good as Pho Saigon, at least I got a few ideas and changed around the generic menu I was using. Now it's more enjoyable because it's soupy and yellow with turmeric.


The curry I make at home. (It comes from this mango chicken curry recipe, here. I add more water, lots of turmeric, take out the mango and use a mild curry spice for a little bit of heat. I also like to eat it with a dollop of plain yogurt inside the curry.)


Pho. I think that's all I have to say about it. But I'll elaborate. 

Pho Saigon, it's in the name. I have no idea why I haven't tried this dish. It never interested me before because it's a soup. I decided to give it a try today because my sister has been very curious lately and the weather has finally gotten chilly enough to crave something warm — like soup.

Also, I had a conversation with Dan Auerbach, he's from a little band called The Black Keys, about pho. He loves the stuff and he eats it everywhere he goes. When he came to Las Cruces for the first time for a concert, he visited Pho Saigon and ordered the pho, naturally. I, naturally, was there to meet him.


My sister, Dan Auerbach and I at Pho Saigon before The Black Keys concert Oct. 10.

So if Dan is crazy about this stuff and it's listed as, like, No. 10 on a list of 50 Greatest Foods In The World, than I should give it a try. And I'm not just going to give it a try, I'm going to experience a few new parts of the cow while I'm at it. 


No. 11, "Saigon rice noodle Soup Special" with tripe, tendons, beef steak and beef balls. I'm pretty sure I've had tendons before, but they were attached to meat. I've never had tripe before, but the Mexican folks around here love it in menudo (you should see how many menudo specials there are on the weekends. Literally, every Mexican restaurant has an all-you-can-eat menudo special on weekends. Do you believe I've never had menudo either. I guess I'll try that next, since I'm keen on soup these days).



Bits of tripe and tendon.

Pictured is No. 33 "Yellow Noodle w/ BBQ Duck" and my pho in the back.

It was a surprising experience the same as the curry. How can a soup be this good? My past arch enemy?

 
The beef broth was heavenly. From the video below I see that it's made with vinegar and some other Asian spices. At first I couldn't put my finger on it. I didn't know what these flavors where. All I could identify was the light beef broth, mild rice noodles, thin beef, chewy tendons and rubbery tripe. Other than that everything together was exciting. It made me excited for the next bite. It was mild, but at the same time full of flavor. Something was a little sweet and something else was a little salty. 





The world wasn't wrong. Dan wasn't wrong. It's brilliant — even though it's a soup — and it's big. Pho easily moved up on my list of favorite foods. And these favorite dishes can both be found at Pho Saigon right here in the desert.

So try something new. Even though you thought you hated it, someone somewhere will make you love it.


UPDATE: After writing this blog about soup, I decided to make soup at home tonight because it's cold again. It's the Middle Eastern variety called aush. Noodles and beans with some chicken and a load of special spices. 


Aush on a cold day.

I love this stuff. I made this a few times before and it's even better when it's cold and you learned from your past mistakes. It's full of flavor from the bay leaf, the spoonful of turmeric, coriander and other spices I have in the pantry. It has lentils and mung beans that makes it hearty and healthy (and yes, those are Ramen Noodles, don't hold that against me). A scoop of plain yogurt takes it a long way in thickening it and mellowing it out just perfectly before serving. I know I'm not making it right and I probably shouldn't be calling it aush, but it's one of the best soups I've made.

See? I do love soup. It just has to be delicious and full of flavor.
I think in another blog I will write about my love for Indian and Middle Eastern food.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for making that curry soup for us at home. It was really good!

    ReplyDelete